Floors are the foundation of how your home looks. Contrary to popular belief, the type of flooring matters to achieve a cohesive design. However, we stand at a crossroads when deciding between tile and wood flooring. It’s not just aesthetics, but functionality and workmanship that influence this decision. Here are some key differences that can help you make an informed choice.
Whether it’s hardwood, laminate, or even bamboo, wood floors will add a warm and luxurious feel to your home. Here we focus on laminate flooring as it is the most commonly used option
- Aesthetics: along with a rich finish, wood flooring also adds warmth to a room. If you want a cozy and comfortable atmosphere, be sure to provide – at least your bedroom – with a wooden floor. In the kitchen, you can opt for wood-like floor tiles.
- Installation: laminate planks have tongue and groove joints that are easy to make. Keep the necessary gaps because wood tends to expand when exposed to heat.
- Maintenance: although laminate flooring is durable, maintenance is very important because the surface is susceptible to water damage. Use a slightly damp mop to clean, but if you spill water etc, remove the liquid as soon as possible. Do not drag any furniture over the floor as it is prone to scratches.
To conclude this brief feature, it is worth mentioning that wooden panels provide warmth to your feet in cold weather. These floors are also non-slip.
Pros and cons
Wood panels are great for cold weather and give an elegant look when combined with other types of flooring. Since they are prone to scratches, it is not a good option if you have pets. It is better to avoid wood when rooms are exposed to moisture and water. Dirt and dust is a constant problem with any surface, so you should clean it regularly.
Although tiles have many varieties, such as bathroom tiles or patio tiles (and here we can distinguish a myriad of variants), for now we will stay with the most popular options, namely ceramic and porcelain tiles. These tiles are made of chamotte or quartz and are glazed at high temperatures. They are available in both glossy and matte finishes to match the arrangement
The prices of tiles vary depending on their color, pattern and type.
- Aesthetics: available in many colors, patterns and styles, tiles are a fashionable option for flooring. Whether you want a tile to add ambiance or provide a striking contrast, you have many options to choose from.
- Installation: tiles are laid over a base layer of cement mortar, and the joints are filled with grout. If you already have a cement floor, tiles can be installed over it with adhesive.
- Maintenance: if your tiles are installed properly, you won’t have to worry about anything for a long time. Regular vacuuming and cleaning is a breeze with this floor.
They are great for all homes, especially in the summer to cool your feet
Pros and Cons:
Tiles are known for their durability, but it is worth mentioning that they are prone to breakage. Since they are slippery, it is advisable to be cautious in case of a wet floor. Non-slip variants are also available in the market. This flooring does not easily attract dust or stains and is easy to clean.